Viewing options
Standard display
High contrast
Dark blue on cream
Dark on light blue
Change language
  • a
  • a
  • a
Change font size
Leading the way in patient care......

Ash Surgery

Chilton Place
Telephone: 01304 812227
Fax: 01304 813788

   Request A Sick Note



For the first 7 days that you are unable to work through sickness you can complete a self certification form. this form can be obtained from your employer.
The Surgery does not issue self certification forms.

If you are in hospital, they will provide you with a sick note. They should also include any period necessary after you leave hospital. If necessary, this can be extended by your GP when you return home.

After the first 7 days, you will need a sick note from your GP. If necessary, this can be backdated to ensure continuity of sickness absence so an immediate appointment is not necessary.

When you know the date you are returning to work, we can often enter that on the certificate. We do not issue "fit note".

If you want to see your doctor solely to extend a sick note, please check with the receptionist whether an appointment is necessary.

Private Sick Notes

If you want a note to confirm sickness within the first 7 days of absence this will require a private note for which a fee is due.

Statutory Sick Pay

An employer pays Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) to staff who are off sick. Most working people are covered by this scheme, but those who are not may qualify for Employment Support Allowance (ESA) when they are off sick.

Note: this leaflet gives a brief summary of SSP and is for guidance only. It does not cover all situations nor is it a full statement of the law. Sources of further, more detailed information are given at the end of the leaflet.

When do you get Statutory Sick Pay?

  • You must have been sick and unable to work for at least four days in a row (including weekends and bank holidays). So you do not get SSP for the first three days that you are unwell. However, if you were getting SSP sometime in the previous eight weeks, and go off sick again, the SSP will restart again from your first day off work.
  • You must be earning, on average, £109 a week or more (April 2013). This is before deductions such as tax and National Insurance.
  • You can get SSP for up to 28 weeks in one sickness episode.
  • If you are still sick at the end of 28 weeks, you may be able to transfer to Employment and Support Allowance (ESA).
  • SSP also stops if your job is terminated whilst you are off sick.
  • If you have more than one job you may be entitled to SSP from each employer.

What proof of sickness do I need?

  • You must inform your employer that you are sick within seven days, or by their deadline. Employers must accept notification if someone else makes it on your behalf.
  • You must also provide a doctor's sick note as evidence of sickness. (Note: you only need a doctor's sick note if you are off sick for more than seven days in a row.) Your employer cannot ask for evidence of sickness to be produced more often than once a week.

Who cannot get Statutory Sick Pay?

You cannot get SSP if you:

  • Are unemployed.
  • Are self-employed. (You may be able to claim ESA instead.)
  • Are involved in, or affected by, a trade dispute at work.
  • Are in legal custody.
  • Have already had 28 weeks of SSP, gone back to work, but have gone sick again within eight weeks (but you may qualify for other benefits).
  • Have been claiming ESA within the eight weeks before going sick.
  • Are getting Maternity Allowance or Statutory Maternity Pay (SMP).

How much is Statutory Sick Pay?

SSP is £86.70 a week (April 2013 rate) and will be paid at a daily rate where appropriate. You may also be entitled to Income Support, depending on your circumstances.

SSP is paid by your employer, usually on the same day as you would normally get your wages or salary paid. SSP is a taxable income, and subject to National Insurance contributions.

Further help & information

Citizens Advice Bureau

Myddelton House, 115-123 Pentonville Road, London, N1 9LZ

Tel: (National Office) 020 7833 2181 (Local Offices) See local telephone directory - under C

Citizens Advice Scotland

1st Floor, Spectrum House, 2 Powderhall Road, Edinburgh, EH7 4GB

Tel: 0131 550 1000


nidirect government services

Further reading & references

View all

Practice News

Results from 2018-2019 Ash Sur…
Results to March 19
Read more…
Lifestyle Advisers at Ash Surg…
'One You' Lifestyle Advice
Read more…
Paramedic Practitioner to work…
Introduction to new clinical member of staff.
Read more…
Latest CQC Report
Click here to see our latest CQC result and the report
Read more…
Winter Coughs & Colds Info…
Keeping yourself well.....
Read more…
Back to top